Sunday, November 20, 2011

Grandmother



As I looked at her, I remembered the woman who scolds me whenever I've not prayed. I was probably 7. And 8. And 9. And 10. And 11 years old. And thereafter, whenever she's around, I made sure I prayed before she scolds me. I remember praying for her to live a long life, long enough to see me get married. When you're 7 or 8, marriage would seem like a long time away. Perhaps, if my grandmother hadn't pushed me to pray regularly at an early age, I would've been a somewhat different person.

Her speech today was noticeably unclear. She mumbles. She doesn't remember her late husband's name. She doesn't remember me. She's seeing people and things that are not there. It just breaks my heart.

The coming week will be filled with exams - a paper on Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday. After that, slightly more than a month's break (with final year project in between). I hope I've done enough to carry me through.

No comments: