Monday, August 3, 2009

The Degree



Here's an excerpt from a book im reading.

"Most of my friends, and most of my friends' children, also have degrees. That doesnt mean that they've managed to find the kind of work they wanted. Not at all.

They went to university because someone, at a time when universities were important, said that, in order to rise in the world, you had to have a degree.

And thus the world was deprived of some excellent gardeners, bakers, antique dealers, sculptors, and writers. Perhaps this is the moment to review the situation. Doctors, engineers, scientists, and lawyers need to go to university, but does everyone?


I'll let these lines by Robert Frost provide the answer:

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference."

.......Like the Flowing River by Paulo Coelho

As much as I love reading Paulo Coelho's work, I hate it when i reach a dead end figuring out the message he intended to put across.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i don't like coelho. he's too...weird funny. those are meant for movies, not books. haha

marzuki said...

That's a nice way to put it : Weird funny. Then tt shud also explain my brand of humor as well as my liking for his works.

Let's wait and see how The Alchemist turns out in the movies later this year :)