Wednesday, August 12, 2009

On rhythm

"I've noticed that most pilgrims, whether on the Road to Santiago or on any of life's paths, always try to follow the rhythm set by others. At the start of my pilgrimage, I tried to keep up with my group, but I got tired. I was demanding too much of my body. I was tense all the time and ended up straining the tendons in my left foot. I couldnt walk for two days after that, and I realized that I would only reach Santiago if I obeyed my own rhythm. I took longer than the others to get there, and for long stretches I often had to walk alone; but it was only by respecting my own rhythm that I managed to complete the journey. Ever since then, I have applied this to everything I do in life: I follow my own rhythm."
.....By Paulo Coelho

Only the second day of school and one can already feel the different rhythms. While some are midway through their tutorial, others are just beginning to wait in line to print their tutorials. There are those who had bought their textbooks, those looking around for textbooks and those who are unsure if they really need a textbook in the first place!

With so many different rhythms playing simultaneously, I'm definitely feeling the need to keep up - or risk lagging behind. And when that feeling begins to creep in, I guess I need to remember that I can always determine my own nice rhythm and be on my way.

Rhythm - I'm still determining one that I can call my own. 

No comments: