Friday, September 12, 2008

The day I found Enjoyment


On my way to school, I was in a conversation with myself. I was wondering where Enjoyment was hiding. Week 6 is almost coming to an end and I’ve still not felt it yet. All I felt was fatigue from late nights, backache from sitting too long and the occasional frustrations for not being able to solve one too many problems. 3 days ago was the first time I felt slightly pressured when I look at how others are doing well and I asked myself if I can keep up with them.

And I can’t say enough how glad I am, to not feel pressure from all the works that are coming in from all angles: Physics, maths, chemistry, computing, economics, and effective communication. The ability to work under pressure really comes in useful at times like this where the only pressure you need is the pressure to succeed.

I didn’t know what enjoyment was till during my journey back home, through a conversation with myself.

It was a pretty long day. Had a couple of lectures in the morning followed by computing tutorial. And we had a surprise: computing assessment. We had to write a program based on the instructions given. I smiled as I typed as I realized all my hard work hadn’t gone to waste. Everything seems to fall into place.

Had a couple more lectures after lunch followed by tuition. I’ve been having problem grasping physics concepts and what took me 5 weeks to understand, I did in an hour and a half. Even managed to finish my first tutorial during that time. I just needed someone to go through it with me at my own pace and once I get it, I just get it.

And I felt happy. Happy that what seemed to be a monster is just the shadow of a monster. And when the "monster" finally revealed itself, it's actually what I was looking for all this while -- Enjoyment.

One's only able to feel enjoyment when one knows one has lots to do, so many things to achieve, yet one's able to take it in stride and just soldier on. The enjoyment is felt when one just do not give up when there's an error in one's computer program. Google, ask a friend. But I find that the best way to learn is to ask yourself what could have gone wrong. Enjoy the moment you manage to solve the problem on your own effort.

Seek help. Never be afraid to ask when things seem to be spiraling downwards. Never ever give up. And remember that whining and complaining never solves any problem -- ERP will not go away, bus fares will only keep going higher, oil prices will not fall. Problems will only go away if you find the right solutions.

And lastly, the ability to still find the time to relax and enjoy amidst the hectic pace is the best enjoyment of all.

Like how the caliphs were able to achieve and do so many things and still be able to be close to God and the teachings of the Prophet, I too want to be able to do likewise.


4 comments:

TheHoopoe said...

Enlivening the legacies of the righteous caliphs ... Amin :)

Anonymous said...

Masya Allah, its very inspiring to read your entry.. be reminded of the joy we shall savour after perservering the difficulties, struggles and yet never giving up. Thanks dik, sejuk hati akak...your writing is getting better and better each day...

marzuki said...

haha. Thanks! Now i take that little bit more time to evaluate each paragraph. Have a certain you know who to thank for that =)

TheHoopoe said...

you're welcome :p