Tuesday, May 18, 2010

The Dilemma : Day 7



My apologies for the lack of entries this past 5 days. I guess ideas are like the rain that come and go as and when they please. After 2 days of trying not to think about the essay, the mind is finally fresh with new ideas.

The more I read, the more I wonder what's really the problem, if there's a problem to begin with.

I was introduced to an article written in Berita Minggu on the 16th of May 2010. In the weekend edition of the Malay Newspaper, the interviewee mentioned that Malays do not dream big. He noted that Malay youths are easily satisfied with their present achievements. He also suggested that the lack of education is one of the reasons why youths get involved in crimes. It is also interesting that he mentioned hardship should not be used as an excuse for one's lack of success.

Education and money are the two biggest words among the cloud of words in my mind. While I've yet to identify the present and future challenges that our community is/will be facing, I believe that with education, we can meet the challenges as one.

Now the doubt.[Assumption: Malays are GENERALLY not as well off as the others.]

Does having the lack of resources limits one's success? Does the lack of funds limits the quality of education that a child gets? It's really hard to say. Too much money makes one take things for granted. Too little makes one go, "Why bother? Life's unfair."

I need to ask people questions. This is Day 7. I'm giving myself another 2 weeks to do more research for this paper. No writing as of yet.

On a side note, I've finally got my hands on Lily Zubaidah Rahim's The Singapore Dilemma: The Political And Educational Marginality of The Malay Community. Hoping for a new perspective. Hoping to be enlightened.

I want to be a visionary. Am I asking for too much?

No comments: