Friday, April 2, 2010

The Talk Part 2



I was walking home from school this quiet dark night. And I tried to picture myself walking. I tried to imagine the person I would see. And I tried to imagine the person others see.

I had called to inform my mum that I was hungry and as expected, food was on the table as soon as I reached home. The first thing she asked was how my oral presentation went. As I sat at the dining table, she told me that my sister had something to tell me. Thank god it wasn't the "Someone proposed to me and I said yes" kind-of-something.

Mama then went on to talk about the brothers and how they were this and how they were that and what I think she should do to handle them. Having just got back from a talk, I gave a talk of my own. I knew I've definitely irritated my two brothers who were watching tv - while listening to me and Mama talk. Haha!

I then went over to them and asked, "Was I irritating?"

The answer was a resounding yes.

No kids love hearing parents go on and on about how they should behave and what they should do. This, is one aspect of parenting that I hate the most whenever she "forces" me to wear my dad's shoes. My approach, for now, is to let them hear my thoughts out loud whenever the opportunity arises. And I pray that one day, they'll grow up and see things the way I do.

As soon as I was done eating, all I said was, "Oh no, do I have to..." and Mama interrupted by saying, "Just leave them there. I'll wash it."

I smiled. I smiled not because I didn't have to wash the dishes (I'm not that lazy), but because of the love that lingers in the house. The kind of love that we show in our weird little ways.

No comments: